Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Mt. Shasta 8x6

I did this painting in the classroom from a black and white photo on a piece of glue primed paper as a demo for a few of my students. The idea was to keep the shapes pretty general but to mix the colors accurately enough to create a sense of depth and atmosphere. I like how it turned out. I'm looking forward to getting up to Shasta in person later this year to do some painting. It's a very beautiful place. I climbed it seven years ago and really enjoyed that experience.
Sold

3 comments:

DJ Kirkby said...

Nice. Reminds me of the Rockies, around Banff.

Jared Shear said...

Nice one Craig!.....this one really pops. You better watch yourself or you will be wanting to painting it everyday...hahaha

craigstephens said...

Thanks everyone!
Jared, If I lived closer I probably would paint it every day! Unfortunately I live down in the big flat. Oh well, the Sacramento Valley does have it's charms.